Strawberry Ice Cream
Strawberry Season is in full swing, so obviously some ice cream is in order.
What more can I say? It was creamy and yummy and tasted like strawberries. Store bought will never be the same.
1 quart fresh strawberries, washed, stemmed and quartered
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
2 cups milk
2 cups cream
1 cup sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, split in half and scraped
6 egg yolks
- Mix the strawberries with ½ cup sugar. Let macerate for 10 minutes.
- Place in pot and cook on medium heat for 6 -7 minutes, until soft and fragrant.
- Puree in a food processor or blender, then strain through a fine sieve.
- In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine the milk, cream and vanilla bean. Bring just under a boil and let sit.
- Whisk together egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Slowly ladle in hot cream mixture, whisking constantly.
- Once mixed pour back into pot and heat on medium, scraping with a spatula. Keep heating until custard begins to thicken, coating the spatula.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the strawberry puree. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and cool on an ice bath. Once cool place in fridge and let chill for several hours.
- Pour into an ice cream machine and spin away!
- Once spun, let rest in freezer for 4 hours before serving.