It’s my friend Courtney’s birthday and she put in a request weeks ago for a Lemon Ginger flavored cupcake. I’ve been so excited about this flavor combo!
First things first, I needed some lemon curd, which would form the base for my lemon frosting. I started by rubbing some lemon zest into sugar until it was all bright and fragrant.
I mixed that with some egg yolks and lemon juice and cooked them over a pan of simmering water until the eggs pasteurized.
And then I had beautiful, glossy lemon curd.
I found this delicious ginger cake recipe by Flo Braker that I was itching to try out. It calls for 3 types of ginger: ground, fresh and candied.
While all my cakes were baking away I made a buttercream that I flavored with the lemon curd.
There were 4 dozen cakes, I got a little carried away.
I cut a hole in the center and stuffed them with the lemon curd.
I piped on some of the lemon buttercream.
And topped them off with some candied ginger pieces…yum, yum, yum. I think Courtney’s gonna be pretty happy.
UPDATE: After trying one of these, I am officially moving them up into my top 3 cupcakes of all time (that I’ve made anyways). This ginger cake recipe is killer.
RECIPE (adapted from Flo Braker):
2 2/3 cups AP flour
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup (12 oz) unsulphured molasses
1 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced (or grated)
4 oz butter
1 cup (7 oz) sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 oz candied ginger, minced to make 1/4 cup
1/2 tsp lemon zest
– Preheat oven to 350.
– Sift flour, leaveners, salt & spices.
– In small bowl, combine molasses, water, oil and fresh ginger.
– In mixer bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds. add sugar in stream, scraping down bowl. Beat for 3 minutes.
– Add eggs in stream. Beat for 1 minute.
– Alternate adding dries and liquids, scraping down bowl.
– Fold in crystalized ginger and lemon zest.
– Pour into cupcake liners and bake until done, about 20 minutes.